I felt like a tart… err, making a tart. A jam tart. I had all this awesome jam in the fridge but wasn’t sure exactly what to do with it all so a tart seemed like a good idea.
The almond cream, well, I kind of wanted something to fill up the tart that wasn’t going to make it sickly sweet but that would work well with the plum jam. And so I came up with this little number.
Enjoy! Questions or comments are greatly appreciated and encouraged below.
- 125g vegan margarine
- 125g sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 60mL tbs vanilla vodka
The Almond Cream
- 100g blanched or raw almonds, pre-soaked in soy milk.
- 250mL soy milk
- 3 tsp corn flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup autumn plum jam (or your favourite flavour)
- ½ cup almond flakes
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs icing sugar
- In a food processor, cream together the margarine and sugar till the margarine turns slightly paler.
- Add the flour and pulse till combined.
- Slowly add the vodka and pulse to bring together the dough.
- Cover and place in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- In a blender combine the almonds, soy milk, cornflour, sugar and vanilla and blend to a smooth paste for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out to cover the bottom and sides of a metal tart tin (preferably with a removable bottom to help separation).
- Cover in parchment and blind bake for 10 minutes, using rice, beans or baking beads to stop the pastry from rising.
- Fill the tart shell with the almond cream and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- After the cream seams fairly set, cover with the jam and top by sprinkling the almond flakes and sugar and return to the oven for a final 8-10 minutes till the almond flakes are golden.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.